Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tuesday. Short(45 miles) easy ride today. Mostly flat with gentle bumps. Wide open spaces with cattle grazing. Nice temps, around 50 when we started at 7:00am rising to mid 70’s. Rawlins, Wyoming was our destination and we get there before noon. The unique event of the day was a 14 mile ride on interstate 80. Back east this would never be permitted, but out west several states allow bicycles on the interstate highways. I had some anxiety with this, but it worked out fine. The shoulder was wide and smooth and the traffic was far enough away that we didn’t get the buffeting that I expected. There were areas of heavy road hazard that require alert riding. All in all even with big trucks whizzing by at 80 miles and hour the day proved to be uneventful. Getting to camp so early makes this like a half a layover day. We’re at a very nice camp ground with good showers and a laundry. By the way we have officially reached 2500 miles.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing that now when you ride 45 miles you think it's short?!?!?

    And, I love how you called them "bumps" rather than hills...

    Love ya,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another milestone. Congrats on 2500! Hooray!

    Caribou Talkow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, 2500 miles...Wow! I follow your adventure daily. I must admit, when I saw your group photo on the top of Hosier Pass, I got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I can almost sneeze now. Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow down! you're moving faster than i can keep up. i'm stuck at Zoe's smile and your touching description. so you rode from danbury to new milford on I-80? that might have certainly stirred some family angst. between Caryn's and Mark's sensitive impressions, i'm feeling more and more as though the force is with you and your band of sisters and brothers. absolutely incredible! love, david and ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, thanks. Because of your June 11 blog, I was able to get 34 across in Monday's crossword. Elzie _______, creator of the Popeye cartoon. You never know what information you are passing along and when it might be needed. Keep it up. Btw, I could not be more proud to be your little sister.

    Lots of love,
    mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the difference between you and The New York Mets? You've gotten your second wind and the Mets have hit The Wall. Let's Go Joe!
    Best, Rick

    ReplyDelete