Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday. Yesterday we stayed in a very weird motel in Jeffrey city. I had moseyed down the road to the café/bar for an afternoon snack after the hard ride. It turned out they had wifi so I was able to post a quick blog, but I had no cell service so I couldn’t get any pictures from my camera/phone to my computer so I could post them. Below are some pictures from yesterday. As a was sitting at the bar schmoozing with a couple that was riding eastbound a disturbance broke out between a male patron and a female patron. Abusive language, pushing and shoving and some fists thrown. It only lasted a minute when the two combatants stormed out and drove off. The bartender told me this kind of thing happens all the time. She even pointed out that there are bars on the inside of the window so when someone tries to throw another through the window they will not break glass. Within 30 minutes the sheriff showed up to take statements. It was all quite exciting. We are certainly in cowboy country now.
Today we left just before 6:30am because of out fear of a repeat of the headwinds yesterday. The wind was calm and the ride was a mostly downhill run to lander, Wyoming. We arrive by 11:15am so it’s like half a layover day. We’re staying at a very nice camp ground. I was able to get a little cabin for myself that has air conditioning and a full bath. Great little town, population 6800. It’s a jumping off spot for all kinds of outdoor recreation as we get close to the Tetons and Yellowstone. I will continue to post photos of the views but trust me, there’s no way to capture the spectacular scenery that we get to view around every curve and over every rise. It is just breathtaking. i think the views are enhance by our slow speed that allows it all to be taken it and absorbed. Actually the highlight of my day was changing a tire. I’ve been riding for a couple of days on a soft rear tire. I decided I’d rather change it in camp than on the road. It’s my first flat in about 1000 miles. The big deal was that I changed it all by myself with no assistance. A first!!!!!! I guess I’m now a complete biker.

2 comments:

  1. You are now a Biker-Dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. joe, how could you pass up new sheriff in town opportunity? a few deft moves, become a legend in town, rename saloon - joe's jumpin' home on the range.
    mimi, any problem with the plagiarism, i know a great defense attorney, who also happens to be a peripatetic biker!
    joe, you've handled those 2500+ miles pretty well, too. david and ann

    ReplyDelete