Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Wife's Perspecitve

I've just arrived home to the sounds of fireworks cascading over the field behind our house. Bright. Sparkly. Exciting. Jubilant. And, I must say, that is much like I feel right now after having spent two-and-a-half days with my biker dude husband and his cycling buddies.

You who are caring enough to visit this blog are given the treat of Joe's view of the trip - both through his photographic skills and his witty and thoughtful words.

What I was privileged to see this week in Breckenridge, was a peek into the daily lives of these extraordinary folks - Joe, of course, included. I watched as they arrived at our hostel/inn in Breck after having climbed Hossier Pass. Tired, yet exhilarated.

Eleven people who had not known each other before May 15th, met for the first time on the 16th and then on the 17th became constant companions who would scale extraordinary heights, both physically, geographically and emotionally together.

Tom, Frank, Ralph, David, Andy, Scott, Alice, Cammie, Judy, Joe, John - all from diverse backgrounds and differening politcal perspectives - yet they share the same spirit of adventure. What a group they make. Do they always get along? Hmmm. I suspect there are some "spats" from time to time. Do they work together as a team? Yes, they do. My brother, Norm had joked with Joe before the trip that when they scale the various passes to take particular care as they cross the Donner Pass. They won't, of course, be there - but I am quite confident that if they were, they wouldn't eat each other.

I also met other family members who had come to spend time with their own biker dudes and chicks. It was wonderful to see the support our cyclists are receiving from their friends and family. I don't think our cyclists have realized just what a favor they are doing for all of us who are following this amazing adventure; they are letting us know just what is possible when we are ready and willing to test our personal limits.

It's not about the bike, you know; it's about the willingness to grow and expand; to test those limits; to not fall prey to ageism and stereotypes.

And now I'm home. And, I must confess, I miss my bikerdude husband. But I'll focus on those fireworks which are in celebration of our country's birthday. And I'll think about the beauty of this country as related by the cyclists - for they've seen it as few of us ever have - the small towns they've been in, and the people they've met.

It's an amazing adventure - but I'm sure glad there are only four weeks and three days left. The weeds are calling for Joe to come pluck them from the gardens.

Caryn

1 comment:

  1. thank you to caryn for her post. way too kind yet very perceptive. biker joe

    ReplyDelete