Thursday, July 2, 2009

Wednesday and Thursday. Very hard 67 mile ride from royal gorge to fairplay, probably the toughest ride of the trip. Our total ascent was 5688 feet going over a pass at 9445 and ending up at just under 10,000. Very long steady climbs with great views and lots of wild life. 7 hours in the saddle was not kind to my butt. Got to fairplay just in time to get cleaned up and then picked up by caryn. We cruised over hoosier pass and got to our lodge in Breckenridge by 6:00pm. We walked around town and had a nice dinner at the local brew pub. Of course I had to get up by 5:00am so it was a very short night. Josh picked me up before 6:00am so we could drive back to fairplay to meet the gang and bike over hoosier pass together. Josh rode very strong, but I was seriously affected by the altitude. I just couldn’t catch my breath, of course we were above 11,000 feet for awhile. I struggled but slowly made it up and over hoosier and town into Breckenridge by 10:30am.hoosier pass is significant as it is the highest elevation we attain on the whole trip at 11,539. Don’t have to get back on the bike until Saturday morning so hopefully my legs and butt will have a chance to recover. With the long layover here there are several visiting family members so that our dinner party tonight will top out at 22. Tomorrow anida and dick are driving down to join caryn and I for lunch tomorrow. Josh, Tanya, and zoe working around josh’s work schedule will join us for dinner on Friday. July 4th will be no holiday for us. We start our last month on the road with an 80 mile ride heading toward Wyoming. Last post until Saturday or Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. Joe, I'm in awe of your stamina. At 11,539 feet and still pedaling is amazing. I still remember how winded I would get just climbing the stairs at the Telluride condo until about the 3rd or 4th day. And in week's time I don't think I ever completely adjusted to the elevations while skiing. Keep it up. It has to be all downhill from here even though you will be travelling north.

    lol (this time it is definitely lots of love),
    mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me wish I had a road bike so I could join you for part of your Oregon trip. Look forward to seeing you after your wheel-dip in the Pacific. Keep riding strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your quick time with family and your great accomplishment (the Altitude). Scenery looks awesome and so do you!
    Tour de France starting on the 4th. Now we have 2 tours to watch ! Very exciting!
    LIVESTRONG !
    Larry and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that you can ride more than 2,000 miles, ascend the Rockies and there's family all around you. Makes me very happy for you -- and the family members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joe, You have gathered family as you have always gathered friends together. At one bend there's Caryn, at another, there's Josh. and more are on the way! In the mountains, it felt as though we were taking each breath with you. Josh, you haven't missed a beat. Photos continue to exclaim this enduring adventure. You have choked us up with great joy on this weekend of independence so far away. love to all, david and ann

    ReplyDelete