Friday, May 22, 2009

Long ride 5/22/09
Today was a long ride. 70 miles. Before today the most I’ve ever ridden in one day is 60. Our cumulative after 5 days is 300 so we’re right on our average of 60 per day. Stats so far: 829 churches 0 synagogues. Road kill is too many to count but it includes possums, raccoons, birds, snakes, deer, and unrecognizable. I had my first crash, actually it was just a fall over. I stopped and got one foot out of my pedal, but my weight was leaning slightly the other way. No harm done. We started with 10 miles all up hill, but at a grade that was not hard, then 3 miles straight down. I learned some new braking technique called feathering. It’s done by alternating between front and back brakes. The concern on this type of hill is that the wheels get so hot a tire bursts. Something I’ve never been concerned with before. The rest of the day was gentle rolling hills which was very pleasant. I did my first but probably not the lasr dumb thing this morning. I left camp forgetting to make lunch. Luckily we rode through Lexington( home of washing ton and lee plus Virginia military institute. I was able to get a great sandwich which I enjoyed in the shade on a picnic table I located at a gas station that I was also able to acquire a very cold diet coke and reese’s peanut butter cups . we’ve had some very good food in camp. Everyone so far has come with great recipes. One of my goals has been to eat ice cream every day, but today expecting a camp store that didn’t exist so I guess one day without will be o.k. tomorrow is only 55 miles, but supposedly big hills. Will advise, but may have to wait as we’re in a church tomorrow night so probably no internet.

8 comments:

  1. You fell?????????
    You didn't tell me that on the phone!!!!!!!!
    I'm gonna come get you right now and bring you back home where you'll be safe!
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense, but Caryn appears to be the better blogger. Rainbow as a valance across the sky? (or something like that). Josh is looking forward to hopefully getting on a bike when you come through Colorado; don't know how serious they are about the single file bit. Although recognize the necessity for safety on highways. Jealous of your constant built-in daily exercise. Fairly certain I eat the same diet already. Can't wait for you to see Zoe!!! Tanya and Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    JP's girlfriend, Sophie, lives in Lexington, Va. You may have ridden right past her house (big horse farm called Stonebridge Farms)...

    Sounds like it's going well. Must be some pretty country you are riding through...

    Caryn has been in Chico's every day since she dropped you off...

    Met's broke 4 game losing streak tonight vs Red Sox. I am rooting for Mets all weekend. Yanks 9 game winning streak ended vs. Phillies tonight (sorry)...

    Remember, no farting in church...Snoring ok, I do it all the time...

    Keep safe. Thanks for the updates. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not true about the Chico's thing. Just want to get that straight! Jim, you are in such trouble!
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. has anybody climed in to your tent yet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quote of the day: 'Marriage is a wonderful invention, but then again so is a bicycle repair kit'. -Bill Connolly

    lol,

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far, so good apparently. Keep those wheels a'turnin'

    Canadian commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. marci, karen and ferdiJune 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM

    We are soooo glad to hear about the feathering trick, yeah who knew?

    I guess we all gasped when Joseppie said he fell but I can just see that grin when he typed in that it was in fact a fall over (you rat!)

    I had to laugh about the snoring and other nocturnal sounds issuing from your fellow "velophiles".

    and I too adored the omen of the rainbow and CJ's description of it. I guess that's why CJ is the famous writer in the family. She does a rip roaring workshop too...if you know anyone who would like to be inspired by her Tao and Defiant spirit (oooppss my PR hat is showing.)

    ReplyDelete