Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Catching up with the blog

I don’t plan on being real organized with this. It’s going to be sort of an “on the road” stream of conscience” f they had any toilet paper at the campground I’d use that. Just finished our 4th day staying at a KOA just outside of Charlottesville, va. Tomorrow we ride up to the blue ridge parkway. It will be out first really, really tough day. After the first day’s wind and rain we’ve been lucky with beautiful weather although the mornings are cold. Today was 30 degrees when we got up around 5:30am. It warmed up quickly into the 70’s. the routine has been pretty well established. We rise with first light. Water is boiled for coffee, hot chocolate, oatmeal. I actually had oatmeal for the first time unless I had it as a kid. We stumble around for a bit, breakdown our tents and get on the road. We’re a group of 12 participants with 2 leaders. One leader drives the van with our stuff in it and the other one ride sweep on his bike. Three women, two Canadians, a few pieces of work. Let’s face it, a completely normal person would not be out here. There is lot’s of camaraderie after only the few days we’ve been together . I guess having the common goal helps. I’m the only one who has not done an organized multi day ride, some have done very extensive long distance rides. We head out of camp in groups of 2 or 3. It’s really a solitary event because we have to ride single file so there’s not much conversation. Within a very short time we get strung out. People ride at different paces, stop to take picture, stop to pee, etc. it,s kind of understood that we meet up along the road for a snack or just a rest break. Then there,s always 2nd breakfast. Within the first 1-2 hours there’s a stop for coffee and cookies or pastry. Back on the road I find myself alone just pedaling along, which is fine because I’m usually listening to a book. I finished one yesterday and with no internet I had to go to music today so of course it became a bob Dylan day. We’re allowed but must use only one ear piece so I could only hear have of the music. There’s a lunch stop which is sandwich’s we’ve made in the morning. I’ve had pb and j everyday. A few more hours and then it’s 2nd lunch which is soda and junk food ie. ice cream, reeses, etc. remember, it’s estimated that we burn 3000-4000 calories. Eating everything with no eff ect is the main purpose of the trip. Into camp, setup the tent, take a shower(maybe), do laundry, eat dinner, pay attention for the map meeting, read for 2 minutes, fall asleep

4 comments:

  1. This is a great blog - so much more fun to read it than to write it.
    So now I know for sure, my biker dude husband is not completely normal.
    Love it that way!
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe - I'm keeping Caryn company for Idol so don't feel guilty.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are following your journey and look forward to reading about your next episode!!!
    Larry & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe this is great. Looking forward to reading more about it. Sorry about the farting, it can be difficult proposition to sleep through.

    Robs

    ReplyDelete