Thursday, May 21, 2009

5/21/09

Survival-5/21/09
Today was quite a ride. Kind of beauty and the beast. The ride took us from Charlottesville to the blue ridge parkway. We got the beauty of the views from the blue ridge, but it required a beast of a climb up to it. Over 41 miles we climbed 4355 cumulative feet, more than I’ve ever done in one ride. My training in Connecticut really paid off. I had hoped that riding our hills around newtown would pay off. I was 2nd into camp so I’m feeling pretty good about myself. now to introduce you to some of my riding companions. there’s david from Canada who is a tax attorney that did not tell his partners yet that he’s away until august. He stays in touch with office and clients via email. Today he stopped on the road for about an hour to take a conference call. Then there’s alice from Juneau, Alaska. She actually had to quit her job to do this ride. My first conversation with her of course involved sarah palin. I was very relieved to get an anti palin indication. We’re in a house tonight that’s part of compound of rental units right on the blue ridge parkway. No cell service, but maybe some internet. I have a bunch of pictures but cannot post until I have strong internet. Weather was spectacular today. I didn’t even need a jacket to start. Got up to mid 70’s.

9 comments:

  1. Well, I guess David's secret is out now!
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooooo!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!! When Mom and I drove that route, we were thinking what you all would be experiencing when you had to ride it.

    Much love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are doing great!

    -Alix

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing a tough day!! And to think that you used to be tired after spending a few hours with my kids!! Glad to know you will be sleeping indoors tonight. We head off to Alix's sleepaway camp tomorrow for a two night overnight. We'll be thinking of you when we wake up in the bunks Saturday morning. At least we have cots to sleep on. Hope tomorrow is another great day! Love You! Ami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did we tell you we saw the streaker at Citi Field? Stark naked execpt for the stuffed animal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Joe
    Glad all that Newtown biking paid off. PRACTICE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. Keep up the the ride
    W. B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear you got to sleep in a real bed tonite. Hope the ride tomorrow is a little less exhausting. Enjoy yourself and ride safely. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who is this person!!! Oatmeal as a child--I don't think so--at least you spelled it correctly. Enjoying the blog and making it part of my daily routine. Way to go Joe!
    lol, (whichever--your pick)
    mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mashugina, "A few pieces of work"? I wonder how you appear in the others' blogs. What is an "organized multi-day ride"? Sounds like a pass at Lake Compounce. Since I couldn't find some of your early Virginia towns on my map, I had this fantasy that you were holed up in a motel room dipping the bike in the bathtub. I did recognize Charlottesville, so I'm back on the trail with you.
    What a great treat for us! Much better than the morning paper although I can't believe there is no hiding from Sarah Palin. Better than Sports - coming in 2nd is really good. I'm reminded of the wrestling mat where you were always #1!
    You are a great inspiration for us. I've knocked down two walls already for the bathroom remodel and I understand that Cousin Kim starts his day with pushups for every quarter mile you ride.
    Our pride is building! Keep truckin', keep writing, keep safe!
    Love, David & Ann

    ReplyDelete