Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Monday. Today’s ride started at grant village in Yellowstone park and ended 50 miles later in west Yellowstone, Montana. The day started at colter bay in grand teton. We were not permitted to ride out of camp this morning due to heavy construction on a large part of the road between teton and Yellowstone. We were forced to use the van as a shuttle and because of all the gear it took two trips. I volunteered for the second one so I could sleep in and have a leisurely morning. As it turned out I didn’t get on my bike until close to noon. The first 17 miles were probably the most unpleasant and potentially dangerous miles we’ve ridden the whole trip. Three hard climbs crossing the continental divide each time, narrow road, almost no shoulder, and very heavy traffic. It was as if I was riding in manhattan, but with pretty scenery. Many large rv’s, but the scariest vehicles were the cruise America rental rv’s. I’m sure the drivers of these had no idea how wide they were or how far the side view mirrors stuck out. They seemed to drive like they were in their chevy malibu’s. everyone survived but it was not fun. The terrain also seemed to have gotten much steeper since I was here last time. It turned out that everyone was headed to old faithful. I stopped and watched the geyser and stuck around for lunch at the old faithful lodge. the rest of the ride was very pleasant as most of the tourists headed back the way they came. Having visited so many other national parks in the last few years I would put Yellowstone way down on my list of favorites. I guess it’s the most famous and well known throughout the world so it attracts way too many visitors and the roads get jammed. We’re staying in west Yellowstone which is outside of the park and quite honky tonk. Another rest day on Tuesday so everyone can explore more of the park. I will take a pass and enjoy a quiet day. No post

4 comments:

  1. You're sounding a tad-bit exclusive,yet, we are glad you didn't get whacked up side of the head by one of those mirrors the size of california. Remember, share the road with enthusiasm! and 3 cheers for Transam! david and ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Only 2 states to go!!!!!!! Wooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!

    Love ya,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. joey
    watch out for that old geyser, I hear it can blow its top !
    Warren

    ReplyDelete
  4. That steeper terraine? Gotta be global warming.
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete