Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday. Mitchell, Oregon to Redmond, Oregon 72 miles. Great start today. As I was getting my bike ready to go I realized my back tire was flat. Rotten way to start the day. I changed it no problem, but couldn’t find the cause. This is not good because whatever caused the flat could still be lurky. Sure enough after 10 miles in the midst of a 20 mile 2500 foot climb it went flat again. At least it wasn’t hot yet. Andy thought the problem was with the wheel. I changed it again and hoping for the best rode on and miraculously made it all the way without another flat. At this point I’ll leave well enough alone and keep riding. After the initial climb the rest of the day way flat to slightly down hill. Right after Prineville with about 20 miles to go a bit of excitement ensued. Scott had been ahead of me passing earlier when I stopped for second breakfast. In the distance I see his bike parked on the side of the road but no scott. As I approach I notice a car parked on the opposite side of the road and someone crouched down beside it. I realize that it’s scott and that he must be helping someone with a mechanical problem. I stop to check it out and immediately realize this is an emergency. A dopey kid had stopped to change a flat and didn’t properly set the jack. Somehow he got under the car and the jack collapse bringing the car down Ion his face and chest. I asked scott if he had called 911. He thought it more important to get the kid out and was furiously working the jack. I called 911 and 4 sheriff’s car arrive in about 2 minutes. The kid was pulled out with compression pain in his chest and scraps on the side of his face and head, but did not seem to have any serious injuries. i‘m sure scott saved his life as the weight of the car probably would have suffocated him. Quite a day!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Puts the "problem" of having a flat tire into perspective, doesn't it! Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely done! like i said several hundred miles back: charmed ride! and like i'll add now: beautiful teamwork. reminds me of the valuable lessons we learned in the dark ages of changing tires along route seven with those hefty, clumsy, cranky, archaic jacks, barely catching a bumper, with the only instruction; "stand clear!" ride well, david and ann

    ReplyDelete