Saturday, June 6, 2009

Thursday. 60 miles, wet, windy, cold. Terrain remains gentle with large farms and beautiful horses grazing. I don’t think the temperature reached 60. I carried a vision of my mother all day. I imagined the scrunched up look of disbelief she’d have on her face when I explained that I had just pedaled a bicycle in the cold pouring rain for 60 miles. For some reason I don’t think she would really have gotten it. We’re sleeping outside in a covered pavilion. I already know that my sleeping bag will keep me nice and toasty. Well Thursday night proved troubling. Around midnight I woke up with head ache and nausea. I got through the night and rode 83 miles on Friday feeling really rotten. The weather cleared, but it was still a struggle. This was a personal record for distance. Previously my longest day was 72 miles last week. To put 83 miles in perspective it’s within a few miles of the distance between ami and andy’s house in new jersey and our house in newtown. It was our first overnight in a fire house. Brand new and a very nice facility in Utica, ky. I spent most of the night on the toilet. I will spare the details. I guess I could have ridden if my life depended on it, but I decided a day off was best. So instead of 4250 miles I’ll only ride 4180. I can live with that. I rode in the van to marion, ky and immediately rolled out my sleeping pad and slept for a few hours waking up feeling much better. If I had pedaled today I would have reached the 1000 mile mark so I’ll just have to wait until tomorrow. We have two moderate days coming up and the a layover in Carbondale, il. I’ll have to look for some salukis there. Carbondale has some good bike shops. I have to find some better tires and tubes. I’ve had flats the last three days. my bike also is in need of some professional adjustments.

5 comments:

  1. Your mother would say that you're in need of some professional ajustments!
    As for me, nope, I think you're spectacular.
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you were smart today and took the sweep van. As a sweep van driver on the 3-Day, I know how devestating it was to some people to have to "give in" and take the van--but, as you well know, you're certainly not doing that! Keep going strong!!!

    Oh, and that comment about your Mom's face was hysterical! I'm not sure that I remember her making that face, though. Perhaps it was before my time--when she had to deal with you as a youngster... :-)

    Love you lots!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely comes with living with the face for years but I can picture it very well. The weird thing is, I can feel myself put on the same face in the last year or so. Oy!!

    lol,
    -m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the 83! That's awesome! Sorry that you had to take the day off, but you definitely earned it. Keep on riding ... recklessly!

    Caribou Talkow

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW--I hope your set back on Thurs./Fri. wasn't the revenge of the $3.80 burger, fries and ice cream!

    mimi

    ReplyDelete