Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday. Caught a break today. Based on the forecast we expected our 80 mile ride to eads, Colorado hot with wind in our face. It turned out cool with a helping wind. I was able to average just under 13 m.p.h. I had always thought mountain time started at the border of Kansas and Colorado. Wrong. We entered mountain time 26 miles east of the Colorado border. I officially logged my 2000th mile about 30 miles into today’s ride. The terrain changed within a short distance after entering Colorado. Hills just started popping up and the foliage looked dessert like with very sandy soil. The elevation rose by about 1000 feet so we’re now just over 4000 feet above sea level. With the gradual rise I don’t think I’ll have an altitude problem like I do when we fly into telluride which at 8700 feet. We’ll see. Getting very spoiled, another motel tonight. I haven’t had to set up my tent since june 13. Between town park pavilions and churches with a few motels thrown in the tent has become obsolete. I’m sure this pattern will not continue much longer.

6 comments:

  1. With all of these motels, i hope you don't expect houskeepers and room service when you get home.
    Caryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

    Love ya,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. lou was pushing the Talmud. i'd suggest the wizard of oz, but then, again, you're not in kansas anymore! truly amazing! colorado? it has a distant, wild ring to it. I'd hardly call you spoiled. we"ll show you spoiled! typing speed is about the closest we get to 13mph non-motorized forward motion. david and ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad you won't be in Boulder. SARA and JEFF

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4,000 miles and still going...better than the Energizer Bunny. Congratulations! Keep it up. We are all so proud of you.

    Caribou Talkow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correction: 2,000 miles!

    Caribou Talkow

    ReplyDelete