Thursday, June 11, 2009

Last night in chester turned out to be quite interesting. The town is the birth place of elzie segar the creator of popeye. There are statues of the popeye characters all over the place. The pictured statue is right on the banks of the Mississippi river just where we were about to cross. Our residence in chester was on the grounds of the fraternal order of eagles which is basically a bar and restaurant that turns over all profits to local charity. The folks were the most hospitable people we’ve run into so far. The road sign pictured was one block away. Felt just like home. This morning we met at the popeye statue for a group shot and then andy blocked traffic with the van so we could ride safely over the river. The road was very narrow with zero shoulder. We rode along the river for a short time and then began a very hilly 40 miles to Farmington, Missouri. Total for the day was 49. The forecast had been for rain with thunder and lightning, but it turned out to be a beautiful sunny day. Upon entering Farmington I found a traditional drive-in restaurant for lunch. There was no indoor option so I just pulled up on my bike and got served. Burger, fries, root beer float. It reminded me of the lark and a& w. we’re camped for the night in front of the Farmington fire department.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, to be back at the Lark. Them were the good ol" days with root beer floats in real mugs. I'm waiting for the spinach special, though. david

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, Great blog...keep up the good work. I'm following along. Ollie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once tried to walk up to a bank's drive up window (I was driving a really large van and new I wouldn't be able to reach down) but they wouldn't do it. So, I had to drive over and then get out of the van and stand next to it, and then they'd take care of me. Glad this place didn't mind you being on your bike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. joe- I beg of you to let me join you on your trip. I will clean your spokes and shine your shoes. I can not watch the Mets any more!

    ReplyDelete