Sunday, May 24, 2009

Saturday was the hardest day yet. We rode 55 miles with over 4000 feet of total ascent. Compounding the difficulty was the heat with strong direct sun. I thought I’d be in trouble due to every part of me being very, very sore…knees, neck, back and especially tuchie. I got on my bike this morning with great trepidation, but miracle of miracle I rode strong and with no discomfort. I guess there’s good days and bad days with no explanation. Today was overcast and cool for the first half of the day that went real far in helping to conserve energy. We road 54 miles of rolling hills. Its was 4 m.p.h up hill and a very cooling down hill at 25-30 m.p.h. found our first dairy queen today, which on this route has a tradition of never passing a dq so it was hot dogs and soft serve ice cream. Also, had my first flat tire. And when I say first I really mean first. I’ve never changed a tire. I got the tube and tire off but couldn’t figure out getting the new stuff on. Luckily after a few minutes so others in the group caught up to me and helped. Some sad news today. Jerry whose been riding a recumbent bike had been struggling on the hills and took a spill yesterday. He decided to bail out and go home. I know he’s disappointed and the rest of us will miss him. Other than the flat that can’t be helped my bike has performed perfectly. I must thank the folks at class cycles in southbury. Making the best recommendations on every part of my bike setup. So kudos to roy and his whole crew and robin who spent about 3 hours getting the bike fitted to me.

2 comments:

  1. Joe, Pictures are terrific! Catching you in front of the post office in Bumpass reminds me of all the folks I know who are one digit short of a zip code. It sounds like you're getting into the nitty-gritty - sore body, uphill rides, disabled bike, losing companions. Do you ever get a day off like the rest of the world- so you can go for a ride on your bike? I mean so your body can refuel a little. I don't see much refueling in the tent or with the peanut butter and jelly. All I see is more and more asceticism, like being trapped in a moble monastery. I can appreciate your fun with one less Yankee fan. Well, I'm becoming another - tied score in the ninth after another great comeback, runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs, Texeira up with his shift on, nobody playing 3rd base. He's swinging away, bounces into a double play, no bunting attempts. Phillies get out of inning. Yanks lose in 10th. Enough already!
    Keep pedaling, writing, and photos coming! Keep safe.
    Love, David & Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. rmdcdacbsp@aol.comMay 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM

    Hey Joe
    this is my first chance to check out your site. Surprised to hear you lost a rider so quickly, but then recumbent cycles aren't great on hills. Psyched to hear that you seem to be getting stronger as you go. Try to save some energy to blog details of the countryside, the people, and especially the surprises. Oh yeah, keep the pictures coming, this way those of us who wish we were riding the xcountry trip can live vicariously through you. God bless. Doc

    ReplyDelete